Bitter gourd or bitter melon is an amazing vegetable-fruit that can be used as food or medicine. It is the edible part of the plant Momordica Charantia, which is a vine of the Cucurbitaceae family and is considered the most bitter among all fruits and vegetables.
The Akans call it ‘Nyanya’ whereas Gas call it ‘Nyanyra.’ These leaves are used to treat cholera, anemia, diarrhea blood diseases, bronchitis, gout, dysentery, gonorrhea rheumatism, ulcer, colic, worms, disease of liver and spleen, cancer and diabetes according to the information my sister gave me which I later corroborated with the help of the internet.
Apparently the juice of Momordica Charantia is used to treat piles totally. Momordica charantia is also used as a blood purifier due to its bitter tonic properties. My sister once told me she uses it to bath to ward off evil spirits. I asked her where she got that idea from to which she said it’s a cultural practice of our tribe which has been handed down from generation to generation.
According to research we made about these wonderful leaves, they are actually used in Ghana for the treatment of hypertension, cut wounds, measles, otitis media and chicken pox. The climbing stem is used for the relief of dysentery, helminthiasis and abdominal pains. The whole plant is used for diabetes, dracontiasis, infective hepatitis and abdominal pains. They are used for dermatitis and malaria. The ariel parts are used to treat septicemia while the fruits are used for treating wounds, whitlow, as contraceptive and to treat diabetes mellitus.
Chiefly amongst its value is the fact that it enhances the tonga performance in men. Yeah, we have been reliably informed by some Ghanaian men who have used it for a period of time that it bolster their manpower in bed and make them last longer.
Among the Yorubas of Nigeria, the decoction of Momordica charantia is used to treat malaria and in Senegal, the leaves are indicated for fever, whilst the fruits and leaves are used against itchy skin conditions such as scabies.
So basically here’s a summary of its immense health benefits.
– Biter melon treats blood problems like boilers and itching due to it cleaning properties.
– It controls the distress of high blood sugar or diabetes as it contains a plant insulin called hypoglycemic index.
– Bitter gourd is an excellent source of energy. It improves the stamina and sleeping patterns of your body.
– This one improves your eye sight due to its high beta-carotene properties.
– Due to its alcohol intoxication values, bitter melon sorts out a severe hangover problem.
– A regular use of the juice of this veggie helps build a strong immune system and increase its capacity to fight against various infections.
– The consumption of this juice also heals the problems of psoriasis and fungal infections like ring-worm and athlete’s foot.
– Its use gives relief from the respiratory distresses of asthma and bronchitis.
– Due to its toxemia property, bitter guard cleanses toxins from the blood. It also heals the problem of jaundice.